Warming baked butternut squash
Baked butternut squash with ginger, garlic, and orange juice is a delightful dish that brings together a combination of sweet and savoury flavours. Here's a simple and delicious recipe for you:This dish is not specific to any one region but draws on flavours that are popular in many culinary traditions. Butternut squash is a versatile ingredient that can be prepared in numerous ways, and the combination of ginger, garlic, and orange juice adds a delicious and unique twist to this dish.I first cooked this when I lived in Rugby
- 1 Casserole
- 1 item medium butternut squash
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (finely grated)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp Rock salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon. Peel the skin off the squash with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the squash into 1-inch cubes or wedges, depending on your preference.
- In a small bowl, mix together the minced garlic, grated ginger, orange juice, and olive oil.
- Place the butternut squash cubes in a large bowl and pour the ginger-garlic-orange juice mixture over the squash. Toss the squash until it is evenly coated with the mixture.
- Spread the squash out on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the squash is tender and caramelized around the edges, turning the pieces halfway through the cooking time.
- Once the squash is cooked, remove it from the oven and transfer it to a serving dish.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired, and serve warm.
- This dish is a perfect side for an autumn or winter meal and pairs well with roasted meats or as a standalone vegetarian option. Enjoy your baked butternut squash with ginger, garlic, and orange juice!