Some of my fondest memories of living in Luxembourg are of the delicious smells coming from the snacks on offer at Schueberfouer, a famous annual fair in Luxembourg that dates back to the 14th century. It is one of the largest and oldest funfair in the country and is held in the city of Luxembourg, the capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. The fair takes place over a few weeks during the summer and attracts both locals and tourists alike.
Schueberfouer features a wide array of attractions, rides, games, and various food stalls offering traditional Luxembourgish and international cuisine. Visitors can enjoy a variety of thrilling rides, including roller coasters, carousels, and other fairground attractions. Additionally, there are typically booths selling traditional snacks such as Gromperekichelcher (potato cakes), waffles, crepes, and other delicacies.
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Frying pan
- 1 Grater
- 4 large potatoes (peeled and grated)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl, combine the grated potatoes, chopped onion, minced garlic, beaten egg, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and paprika (if using). Mix well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat and add enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Take a spoonful of the potato mixture and carefully place it in the hot oil, flattening it slightly with the back of the spoon to form a pancake shape. You can cook multiple cakes at a time, depending on the size of your pan.
- Fry the potato cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Once cooked, transfer the potato cakes to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve the Luxembourg potato cakes hot as a delicious snack or as a side dish along with your favorite dipping sauce, such as sour cream, applesauce, or ketchup.