Chiswick chilli con carne
This is a warming dish from West London and only vaguely derived from the traditional Tex-Mex Chilli con carne. There are a few additions that build up the flavour in layers and create a dish that will be a bit of a challenge to anyone with a delicate palate.
- 1 chopping board
- 1 Chopping knife
- 1 Sauce pan
- 1 medium onion
- 4 pieces red chilli (fresh)
- 3 inches peeled ginger root
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds (fired in oil)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Rock salt (ground)
- 500 g beef mince (5% fat)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 300 g chopped tomatoes (canned)
- 300 g Red kidney beas (canned/drained)
- 50 g Dried red chillis
- 50 g dark chilli chocolate
- 1/2 bottle Red wine
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp hot pepper sauce
- 5 pieces Red and Green chillies (fresh, halved vertically)
- 200 g grated cheddar cheese
- 480 g basmati rice (uncooked)
- 960 ml water
- Peel and dice the onion. Slice the fresh chilli and add to the onion. Finely chop 5 cm fresh ginger.
- Place the onion, coriander powder, roasted cumin, dark chilli chocolate, chopped red chilli and finely chopped ginger in a large pan, season with salt and pepper, and then add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Gently heat the pan and cook until the onions become translucent. Stir in one to two teaspoons of red chilli powder and 500g of lean mince beef.
- Fry the mixture until the meat has browned. Add one can of chopped tomatoes and one can of drained pre-cooked kidney beans or the equivalent of dried, soaked and boiled kidney beans. Note: other beans e.g. black beans, also work well.
- Add a table spoon of Worcestershire sauce and one-two tablespoons of hot pepper sauce.
- Add half a bottle of red wine and 3 dried chillis .
- Then cover and simmer for 50 minutes
- Add fresh red and green chillis
- Prepare the Basmati rice fifteen minutes before the Chiswick chilli con carne is ready. Follow the link for instructions.
- When the chilli is just about to catch on the bottom of the pan, remove from the heat and serve with basmati rice and grated strong cheddar cheese.